Sunday 29 March 2009

Play Diary: De Blob

Is this a Blue Tongue game? I know people who work there :)

Cute attract film / title sequence, with the coloured blobs brightening up the grey landscape.

"This game automatically saves progress." Thank god!

Options screen -> Gameplay.
I tried to click on the "Back" text, but this resulted in Applying the settings (Back was next to the - symbol, to indicate that you need to press - to go back, the word itself is not clickable.)

Choose Blob's mood - nice touch (presumably this affects the soundtrack?)
Really nice FMV for the game's intro sequence. Love the lighting, really smooth blobs, like the pastel coloring.

I like the way the blobs speak, with the occasionally recognisable word (blog, INKT)
How To Get Colour: Instructional rather than embodied, but pretty colours, simple instructions, make it friendly. Also the "Do you understand?" with Again (left arrow icon) and Got it! (tick icon) - very clear.

Finished first level.

I often didn't understand things - like, do I need to complete all challenges before moving on? Do I need to paint everything before moving on? Is moving on to the next stage what I should be doing at all? What does the transform object do? (I think I have to slam it...)

Ah, I see, it tells you how many challenges, etc you achieved when you finish a level (so you can replay it to beat your best performance.) Looks like there's lots to unlock.

I like the soundtrack :)

1 comment:

demoncheese said...

I like De Blob - it's a good laugh and is really good at introducing the new gameplay concepts gradually.

Only bug-bear with it is the auto-save. It requires quite a substantial amount of time between auto-saves - would be nice to auto-save at each gate that you unlock rather than have to complete each entire level as they get pretty large.

Multiplayer is a pretty good blast too - very simple to mess around with but also quite competitive.

Age group is good too - both the girls like it. Emily (5 when started playing it) can play it properly and Hannah (2 when started playing it) just enjoys it as a painting game :)

For 17 quid it was an absolute bargain.