Wednesday 18 March 2009

Play Diary: Manhunt 2

Session 1: Player 1.

This is an odd one, because I was one of the developers for this game, though you won't find my name - or the names of the other 55 people - on the credits list. If you look closely you can still find my name in the assets though.

I worked on the PS2 & Xbox versions, though the latter was canned during development. I'm interested to see how the Wii version is different, and whether Rockstar London's port from RenderWare to R*'s internal engine has anything to contribute to the game.

Attract video is different, though I recognise some of the geometry.

Control tutorial worked well. Definitely test that you can do the moves, though it would be beter pedagogically to have the tests in context. Moving the controllers without context is a test that you can read the icons and react to them, but does not inform the player how to use them in game.

---

Session 2
Players 1, 2 & Spectator

P2 does tutorial.
Giggles at squelching sounds.
When Danny looks in the mirror, P2: "Is that us?" Leo walks into frame. I say nothing.

Loading screen takes a while.

First level looks ok.
P2 accidentally walk-walked (but that's ok as it taught him how to do it I guess)
I like the change in colour of health bar - but maybe a bit too subtle?

"How do I change my weapon?" (got it)
Went to execute, but didn't realise how to do it. Punched him to death instead.

When he took down the first melee guy didn't realise he was dead (so couldn't punch) but kept kicking him anyway.
Laughed that he could pick the body up.
Got lost and went the opposite direction.

Didn't seem to understand that he had to lure the guard.
Melee'd him again.

"You can get combos, I see!"

(some audio stuttering, maybe just because it's a backup disc?)

Tried to pick up a weapon but didn't understand that you can only pick up one thing at a time.

Took ages to work out you had to shut all the cell doors before you could go on.
Was walking up to a guard, stealthy, then ran and alerted the guard. Don't think he realised that's what happened.

Didn't understand the significance of the skull on the mini-map.

"It's all the memories of him being Fritzled as a child."

Spectator cried out when dream vision appeared.

Didn't understand what the yellow brick icon meant, even when P2 had picked it up.

No kind of indicator to help out in the mission where you have to open all cupboards, etc. Tediously have to just go round them all, and feel unsure if you've been everywhere or not.

Tried to break down wooden barrier with a crowbar - 'Why can't I get in here?"

"I'm pretty sure I just picked up some drugs" (he hadn't)

Jump execution failed - help text didn't display for long enough. P2 still hasn't commited an execution, just playing by melee.
Accidentally skipped through a cutscene.

"Anyone else want a go?"

---

No comments: