Tuesday 10 March 2009

Play Diary: No More Heroes

First session: Solo with spectator.

Like the attract video, sets the scene nicely. Like the back story. Smiled when the protagonist / narrator said "I know most gamers have no patience," "... and you there holding the Wii remote right now, just press the A button"

Funny difficulty levels, Sweeet & Mild.
Didn't realise the change in control as soon as you start the game - camera pans out from cinematic to wide angle shot of NoMore motel. No indication that I noticed to suggest that I was now in control of the avatar. Nunchuck analogue stick moves him though.
RUn along the corridor then right back into another cutscene (the one from the attract video... have I quit and gone back to the main menu ...?!) - what's the point, is it just to teach me how to move the avatar? Not an elegant tutorial.

Tutorial really long and complicated. Would have preferred to have individual moves introduced one at a time throughout the first few levels.

After tutorial I immediately tried out the Nunchuck analogue stick to control avatar, and D pad directions to change orientation. Ran up the stairs, then immediately lost camera control ?!

Didn't understand when the screen went dark after showing three flashing cherries (or whatever) - friend looked up in the manual about the dark side modes. Still don't really understand how to trigger it.

Lol:
Recharge the sword = masturbatory
Save point : on the toilet.

Maybe a bug? When my phone rang, the avatar answered it, and just walked around for a while (instead of running) without any apparent conversation going on, just the spooky music in the background. Now I really don't know what's going on, what I'm supposed to do. Maybe I just missed an important introduction?

Trippy 8-bit ranking screen.

Spectator really likes the game, I guess mostly due to style (& tongue-in-cheek references to gaming?)

Rubbish driving simulator.

1:50
When getting to rank 9 (killing the old man in the football field - Dr Peace) - you finish him by a Quick Time Event (press Z) - that feels a bit anticlimactic.

---

Second session:

Annoyed by lots of loading screens, having to drive across the city (why can't I just warp, driving's no fun).

In particular found the reverse / forward bike "leap" annoying when I was trying to make small adjustments to my position in order to navigate around an object blocking my path.

Thought there might be some intersection with objects or something preventing me from moving, but in retrospect think this might just be due to the problem I had with forward / reverse 'sticking': Press and hold forward from stationary and you'll go forward. Then press and hold reverse and you'll decelerate to stationary. To actually go in reverse you have to release then depress backwards again. This was awkward for me because I'm used to an automatic transition into reverse without having to release then depress again (e.g., from Midnight Club: LA - Xbox 360)

No comments: